Jackie Michelle Cottrill, 52, died in the kitchen at her home in Blackburn in January. Her body was found by her nephew, Josh Brocklebank, who had been staying with her.
According to LancsLive, Mr Brocklebank said he had gone downstairs in the early hours of Sunday, January 24, when Miss Cottrell made him a bacon sandwich.
He went back to sleep and woke up again at 1pm and got up at 2pm.
When he went into the kitchen he found Ms Cottrill on the floor by the oven.
Coroner Dr James Adeley told an inquest at Preston Coroner’s Court on Wednesday he had “never come across such an unusual case” in the 20 years he had been working.
A post mortem examination suggested there were no signs of disease or natural death.
The cause of death was ruled as the compression to Ms Cottrill’s neck after her pyjama top got caught on the handle of the oven.
The coroner recorded the cause of death as asphyxiation.
Dr Adeley said: “It is very unusual that someone who was fit and well managed to suspend themselves accidentally from the oven door.
“What appears to have happened is that for some reason she has fallen and caught her pyjama top on the lower handle of the oven door.
“I can’t explain how she ended up in this position, it’s a very unusual case.
“In my 20 years of doing this I have never come across this happening.”
The coroner added: “Something has occurred that has caused Jackie to get her pyjama top caught and through extraordinarily bad luck she has died.
“She died at her home address due to the entanglement of her clothing with an oven door handle.”